Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cake & Icing & Sprinkles........Oh my!!!



I have yet to bake anything on this blog and thought I would start it off with a wonderful white cupcake. I just love cupcakes don't you? They are light, slightly sweet, fluffy, and cute, what else could you ask for in a hand-held treat? I have made many cupcakes over the years and this recipe is a fave of mine.

We went to the Fall Festival here in town yesterday they had a chili cook-off and it was great trying out everyone's chili. My husband said there was only one out of the 25 there that would even come close to beating my recipe.......I love him so much I picked a good one. We happened upon a booth that had cookies and cupcakes. I tried a cupcake and thought to myself if I wanted to I could do that too. So my husband and I talked on the way home and think that maybe next year we will have a cupcake booth. So over the next year I will start to perfect what I have been doing for fun for so many years. 




White Cupcakes:  adapted from Joy of Baking


2 large eggs; seperated into egg whites, and egg yolks

1 3/4 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar; divided into 3/4 & 1/4 cups
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp cream of tartar



* Preheat oven to 350 degrees and either spray cupcake tray or use liners

*  While oven is heating up let butter and eggs come to room temperature

*  Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowel

*  Once the butter has come to room temperature using a mixer cream butter until smooth. Add 3/4 cup of sugar and beat until mixed, add egg yolks one at a time, add vanilla. ( I use a beaterblade so I do not have to scrape the bowel down after adding new ingredients, but if you do not have one you will need to make sure and scrape it down a couple of times)


*  Turn mixer to low and alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk to the butter mixture. Start with the flour and end with the flour.

*  In another bowel whisk egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar until soft peaks start to form. Add remaining 1/4 sugar to eggs and beat until stiff peaks form.

*  With a spatula gently fold 1/3 of the egg mixture into the cake batter until mixed. Then gently fold in the remainder of the egg mixture into the cake batter being extra careful not to over combine just enough to incorporate them together.

*  Evenly fill 12 cupcake liners with batter. (as I am a nimrod I over filled all of my cupcakes and they came out looking not so pretty, I really need to get a regular ice cream scoop to measure them out easier)

*  Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes they will be slightly golden and when you insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake it will come out clean.

*  Remove from oven and place on wire rack for about 10 minutes then remove cupcakes from pan and return to wire rack to cool completely.

Buttercream icing

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
1-3 TB milk ( I only needed one to make it nice and smooth)
1 tsp vanilla

*  Cream butter until smooth, add vanilla until incorporated

* Add sugar a little at a time until smooth, add milk to bring to the consistency you like

I used this recipe but jazzed it up a bit for some of the cupcakes. I made the original recipe then divided it into two sections. I put the plain into one piping bag with a large star tip and then mixed up the other half to make Mint Chocolate Buttercream and placed that into a bag with a large oval tip. Then I put both into the fridge to set up a bit before piping onto the cupcakes. I am really in love with this icing kit and if my husband is reading this it would be an amazing x-mas present.....wink wink :)

*** For mint chocolate I used 1/2 tsp edible peppermint oil and added 1/4 cup chocolate shavings with a little green food gel to the original recipe. 


I am slightly addicted to the flavor chocolate mint hence my favorite coffee creamer, my favorite chewing gum, and my new favorite lotion bar. Pretty much anything that has that flavor smell automatically goes into my favorites list.

I hope you try out and enjoy these cupcakes as they are mighty delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment