Friday, January 6, 2012

Clean Turkey and bean soup with kale





So this is an adaptation from Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook. I have been craving chili of course something that is not in the slightest clean and in going through this cookbook I found a recipe for chili and told my husband to take me to the store. I am adjusting to trying to do some things with my wrist all wrapped up and painful as all get out.

After I got this all together it doesn't look at all like a chili. It does however taste absolutely amazing. This original recipe was supposed to be vegetarian  yet I added some ground turkey. Since this is probably what I will be eating for the next few days I thought I would get everything into one pot. I also added some kale to the chili, so I showed it to Ryan and he agrees that it looks nothing like chili so I am going to name this Turkey and bean soup with kale :)


Turkey and Bean Soup w/ Kale
12 servings (about 1 cup each)

2 TB cumin
2 TB EVOO
3 TB chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp oregano
2 tsp basil
Salt & Pepper
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large carrot, shredded
1 head of garlic, roasted
1 can white kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can great northern beans, drained & rinsed
1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 can corn, drained ( I used low-sodium)
3 cups Vegetable Stock, low sodium ( you could also use water)
1 can whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
1 lb ground lean turkey
kale, chopped and rinsed (use whatever amount you would like)
juice of one lime
juice of one lemon


1.  Cut top of garlic head off place in middle of tinfoil square put about one TB EVOO on top and sprinkle salt and pepper over the top. Close tin foil by bringing up to top and squeezing to shut. Do not wrap too tightly. Roast at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.


2.  Brown turkey in a skillet with a little S&P and break up to small crumbles.


3.  Place EVOO, onion, green pepper, and carrot into stock pot and cook until translucent about 5 minutes.

4.  Mix all seasonings together and place into pot with the vegetables. Cover to help steam a little and cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.





5.  While this is cooking open all of the beans place into a colander and drain, rinse all with cold water.




6.  Squeeze roasted garlic into vegetables.

7.  Add all other ingredients and set to a medium heat, let simmer for at least an hour or longer. This helps to incorporate all the flavors and reduces the soup a little bit.

8.  Once it has cooked for awhile you may serve. I am speechless at how amazing the seasoning and taste in this soup is. Just absolutely fantastic. I hope you enjoy :)







Calories:  252
Fat:  9
Carbohydrates: 25
Fiber:  6
Protein: 15

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I have to try this! I may adapt it and try this weekend :) Thank you for posting- looks delicious!!! (especially the roasted garlic part!)

    ReplyDelete